Wyoming Veterinary Medical Association


Covered under Chapter 9 Section 2 - Chapter 9 : Standards of Professional Conduct for the Practice of Veterinary Medicine

Continuing education requirement: 24 hours every 2 years, including at least 3 hrs. of controlled substance CE.

Controlled substance topics: 3 of 24 hrs. are required to be related to responsible prescribing of controlled substances, every other year. W.S. 33-30-211(e) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nuLLiQTrJK0LvROCIxLnORXQoxsv7Y7h/view.

Practice management topics: Cannot exceed 25% of total hours required.

Board-approved programs include but are not limited to those sponsored by American Veterinary Medical Association, American Animal Health Association, Western States Veterinary Conference, veterinary college conferences, Wyoming Veterinary Medical Association, and any other affiliated association or society.

Contact the Wyoming Board of Veterinary Medicine if you are unsure of when your CE is due. 307-777-5403 or email Carla – carla.fleming@wyo.gov.

Frequently Asked Questions

Did the WVMA provide controlled substance CE during one of the meetings? The virtual 2020 Winter Meeting offered 4 hrs. of controlled substance CE, which could be used for hours due in 2021. That same controlled substance CE was also recorded and available online through January 31, 2021. If you watched the recording sometime in January 2021, then those 4 hrs. could be used for the 2022 cycle. 

Can I re-take a course, such as the Opioid 411 Anytime, and use the CE credits for additional renewal periods? The veterinary rules do not prohibit re-taking courses so they can be repeated in the next renewal cycle. 

Are the 3 hours of controlled substance training only required in 2021/2022? No, the 3 hours are now legally required to be part of your 24 hours due every other year. 

Do I have to turn in 12 hours of CE every year or 24 hours every two years? Licensees are required to earn and submit 24 hours of CE every two years, which can be turned in yearly or all at once. Contact the Wyoming Board of Veterinary Medicine if you are unsure of when your CE is due. 307-777-5403 or email Carla – carla.fleming@wyo.gov.

Are the NVAP Training Modules for Accreditation approved CE? Yes, each module is approved for 1 hour.

How do I get CE approved for veterinarians? Contact the Wyoming Board of Veterinary Medicine.


The Wyoming Veterinary Technician Association oversees the Certification process. Please visit their website for more information, wyvta.org.

PO Box 241
Timnath, CO 80547
P: 307.316.0916
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software